Homeowners of an unassuming cape cod built in 1928 are the winners of Cudahy’s 2009 Vitality Award.
Corey and Terri Holland purchased the home located at 3706 East Bottsford Avenue in 1980.
“The Hollands have done an outstanding job of returning this older Cudahy home to its former glory,” said 1st District Alderman Joseph Mikolajczak, who nominated them for the award. “Their renovations have not only improved the house but also the entire neighborhood.”
That is the criteria for receiving the Vitality Award, which was first presented to a Cudahy homeowner in 2000.
Over the last 30 years the Hollands have made extensive improvements to both the exterior and the interior. They’ve redone all the outside trim and replaced the windows, given the base of the house the look of field stone and restored the front of the house to its original 1928 appearance. Inside, the Hollands have restored the oak trim and oak floors, among other projects.
“We live in a wonderful community,” Corey Holland said. “We are all very supportive of each other and the work we do to improve our homes.”
Mayor Ryan McCue says a kind of domino effect happens to a neighborhood when one homeowner remodels and revitalizes his or her property.
“It inspires others to take pride in their own properties,” McCue said. “We applaud residents like the Hollands who value strong neighborhoods and the historic significance of Cudahy’s beautiful, older homes.”
The Hollands will receive the official Vitality Award plaque and resolution at a special town hall meeting in April. They say they look forward to spring when the snow melts and the flowers begin blooming, and the community can get a clear picture of the work they’ve done to their home.
“We truly enjoy and take pride in the improvements we’ve made,” Corey said.
Past Vitality Award winners include:
2008 – 5133 South Lake Drive
2007 – 3702 East Layton Avenue
2006 – 3903 East Somers Avenue
2005 – 3810 East Allerton Avenue
2004 – 3806 East Van Norman Avenue
2003 – 3930 East Grange Avenue
2002 – 3842 East Ramsey Avenue
2001 – 3802 East Armour Avenue
2000 – 3755 East Plankinton Avenue
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elect "Write-In" Candidate St. Marie Boelkow Alderperson of the 5th District
- Vote Bob Grams for School Board on April 2
- Cudahy Historical Society Will Miss Mary Becker, 93
- This Year, Leave the Fireworks to the Pros
- Cudahy Native Named Subsidiary President of Florida Company
- IRS Warns of Tax Scam Targeting Wisconsin Residents
- Agencies Integrate Service Delivery to Poor and Elderly in Cudahy and St. Francis
- Cottonwood Trails Residents Participate in Medication Collection Program
- RCMF Distributes Monetary Grants to Community Organizations
- Public Policy Award for Cudahy Departments & Metropolitan Associates