The campaign piece recently distributed by Clerk/Treasurer Robert L. Goss included a thank you which added my name and title without my permission. Others in the office have told me the same thing. This is unethical.
To some it might imply an endorsement. To others maybe that I am working for the Clerk/Treasurer. Neither are true.
As far as the "accomplishments" mentioned, I offer the following comments.
-The ordinances creating our positions included the salaries we were to be paid for the 3 years of our respective terms. The Clerk/Treasurer "accepted NO salary increases" because the ordinance didn't offer any and therefore none could be given.
- The audits are the responsibility of the Comptroller. We have had 2 much improved audits and we await the draft of last year's audit to see if it will again be favorable. While there is input from many sources for the audit, the lion's share of the credit for our continued improvement in the last 3 years belongs to Bruce Schucknecht, the City Accountant. The Clerk/Treasurer had little to no input. Ditto for the improved bond rating.
- The proper rate that corrected the $250,000 overcharge was discovered by our Director of Office Services working with the City Accountant. The question the Clerk/Treasurer had raised had been answered, had nothing to do with the correct rate and certainly didn't demand a second audit.
- When the previous Council split the Clerk/Treasurer/Comptroller into 2 positions, they didn't expect the electorate to keep them elected. As a result, they decided to make the positions part time because they weren't going to pay 2 full time officials. Neither the Clerk/Treasurer nor I had anything to do with saving $60,000 in benefits.
- While I work 20 hours per week, I do not portend to be "providing full time quality service". I wouldn't think that coming in at 3 or 4 in the afternoon would do it either no matter how many night time meetings the Clerk/Treasurer chooses to attend plus the occasional daytime appearances for required jobs.
There have been dividends paid to the city in the last 3 years to be sure and they came from the efforts of a lot of people doing good work. You will have to decide how much credit to give to the Clerk/Treasurer.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Cudahy Health Department Maintains Level III Status
- Racine Starving Artists Outdoor Fair August 2nd
- City of Cudahy 4th of July Parade and Celebration
- Return visit of Chad Lewis to the Cudahy Family Library
- Suessical the Musical, amazing successful performances!
- Cudahy Arbor Day Celebration Sat. April 25th
- Author Royal K. Sutton at the Cudahy Family library in April
- St. Paul's Lutheran School Craft Fair
- Farmers Market Coming to Cudahy in 2015
- St. Francis Book Author to Speak At Cudahy Historical Society Meeting