Franklin became the 8th municipality in the greater Milwaukee area to pass resolutions that allow the city to support and join the Milwaukee Gateway Aerotropolis Corporation, a nonprofit corporation organized to formally plan for the development of a Milwaukee area aerotropolis. Franklin joins Cudahy, Greendale, Greenfield, Milwaukee, Oak Creek, St. Francis and South Milwaukee in this economic development effort.
Milwaukee city Alderman Terry Witkowski brought the area municipalities together with businesses, legislators, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, The Port of Milwaukee and General Mitchell International Airport to work on economic development surrounding the Airport. That group, known as the Airport Area Economic Development Task Force, will become an advisory committee to the new corporation.
This new public-private nonprofit corporation will host its inaugural board meeting in late June and will apply for 501(c)3 status with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Work will then begin to study the area and business requirements to generate a comprehensive plan for developing an aerotropolis.
Gateway Executive Director Tom Rave said, “It is encouraging to see the collaborative effort of the municipalities, General Mitchell International Airport, and The Port of Milwaukee working with area businesses for the greater good of the region.”
Legislation has been introduced in Congress this month that supports the development of aerotropolis transportation systems. If this legislation passes, the Milwaukee Gateway Aerotropolis Corporation may be eligible for certain grants and other support services for the Gateway’s aerotropolis plan.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Cudahy Girls and Boys Basketball Clubs
- Wixon Adds Protein Project Manager Nathan Radue
- Paul Pennoyer Joins Bartelt as a Lead Carpenter
- Book Signing & Authentic Viennese Recipes at Library!
- Cudahy Post Office Set To Deliver Packages on Sunday
- Cudahy Chronic Nuisance Billing Oct 2014
- Cudahy Man Promoted to Brigadier General - USAF
- North Shore Bank Hosts Community Wellness Day in Cudahy
- Holiday Folk Fair to Help Celebrate Italian Heritage Month
- "Identity Theft" presented by Educators Credit Union