Franklin became the 8th municipality in the greater Milwaukee area to pass resolutions that allow the city to support and join the Milwaukee Gateway Aerotropolis Corporation, a nonprofit corporation organized to formally plan for the development of a Milwaukee area aerotropolis. Franklin joins Cudahy, Greendale, Greenfield, Milwaukee, Oak Creek, St. Francis and South Milwaukee in this economic development effort.
Milwaukee city Alderman Terry Witkowski brought the area municipalities together with businesses, legislators, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, The Port of Milwaukee and General Mitchell International Airport to work on economic development surrounding the Airport. That group, known as the Airport Area Economic Development Task Force, will become an advisory committee to the new corporation.
This new public-private nonprofit corporation will host its inaugural board meeting in late June and will apply for 501(c)3 status with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Work will then begin to study the area and business requirements to generate a comprehensive plan for developing an aerotropolis.
Gateway Executive Director Tom Rave said, “It is encouraging to see the collaborative effort of the municipalities, General Mitchell International Airport, and The Port of Milwaukee working with area businesses for the greater good of the region.”
Legislation has been introduced in Congress this month that supports the development of aerotropolis transportation systems. If this legislation passes, the Milwaukee Gateway Aerotropolis Corporation may be eligible for certain grants and other support services for the Gateway’s aerotropolis plan.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Schuknecht for Mayor
- Cudahy Mayor to request funds for 2016 National Night Out
- HamBINGO Wednesday February 17 to Benefit Second Hand Purrs
- South Milwaukee Lion Community Blood Drive
- Wixon to Host Business Tour of MPS Students
- SOUTH MILWAUKEE PERFORMING ARTS CENTER PRESENTS AN EVENING OF COMEDY: FEATURING SMHS ALUMNI, JACKIE KASHIAN SATURDAY, MARCH 19, 7:30 PM
- Trinity Irish Dancers to Perform Free Show in South Milwaukee
- Bruce Bultman Honored with SSSF Distinguished Service Award
- St. Ann Center's Walk-In Clinic Is Perfect RX
- DIY Checkerboard Demo at St. Ann Center Market