More properties on Packard and Layton Avenues in downtown Cudahy will be getting facelifts soon. The City’s Design Review Board gave its stamp of approval to four additional façade improvement projects Tuesday night. The properties are:
• 4745-47-49 S. Packard Ave. (The Soup Ladle and vacant tenant space)
• 4751-53 S. Packard Ave. (Fili’s Family Restaurant)
• 3534 E. Layton Ave. (Layton Gyros)
• 4770 S. Packard Ave. (former Baron’s Appliances)
More than a dozen downtown properties have now been approved for façade improvement grants to help cover the cost of exterior renovations.
“It’s going to be an exciting summer as more and more of these façade improvements get underway,” said Cudahy Mayor Ryan McCue. “Our historic downtown is experiencing an extraordinary transformation, which should bring more businesses and jobs to Cudahy.”
Cudahy’s Façade Improvement Program was launched in the summer of 2009 in conjunction with the creation of a new Design Guidelines Manual, to enhance the quality and character of the downtown area. The manual, which will be completed this spring following a final public open house and review session with City officials, will present a set of general design guidelines for new construction and rehabilitation downtown and in key corridor areas of Cudahy.
Lara Fritts, Director of Economic Development, says the City couldn’t be more pleased with the response they’ve gotten to both these projects.
“We’ve received great input to create a Design Guidelines Manual that preserves the character of Cudahy’s architecture, building materials and urban design features,” Fritts said.
Here is a list of other properties approved for façade improvements by the Community Development Authority (CDA):
• 3545 E Layton Ave (Sidello Building)
• 4630 S Kinnickinnic Ave (Rosebud/Kohl’s Food)
• 3620 E Layton Ave (former Majestic Theater)
• 4758 S Packard Ave (South Shore Cyclery)
• 3465 E. Layton Ave (Pipero Properties)
• 4760-64 S Packard Ave (Copper Nugget)
• 5036 S. Packard Ave. (Vnuks)
• 3552 E. Layton Ave. (Dr. E. J. Tomasik)
• 4805 S. Packard Ave. (former Breakwater Records soon to be the Gift Shoppe)
• 4871 S. Packard Ave. (Time Outt)
• 4666 S. Packard Ave. (former Suzy’s Café soon to be Hibachi Express)
• 4960 S. Packard Ave. (Lakeside Hair Studio)
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wacky Wednesday Crazy Crafts for Kids August 12
- Cudahy Health Department Maintains Level III Status
- Cool It at St. Ann Center Jewelry Sale and Ice Cream Social
- City of Cudahy 2016 Budget Time Table
- Wisconsin Wolfpack U15/U16 Baseball team holds Tryouts
- Two Fun Dog Events Coming Soon
- Polonia's Annual Festival
- The American Dream - Homebuyer Education presented by Educator's Credit Union
- Rose Tattoo folk group to be revived in Milwaukee
- Bayview Historical Society 35th Anniversary Celebration