If you take a stroll down Layton Avenue you’ll notice that a piece of Cudahy’s architectural and entertainment history is undergoing transformation. The old Majestic Theater is the first building to get a facelift with the help of Cudahy’s Façade Improvement Program.
Work crews have removed the 1970’s-era stucco from the exterior of the building at 3620 East Layton, which once housed the Majestic Theater. The goal now is to return the structure to its original appearance, including restoration of the cream city brick, new siding, awnings and tile and a brand new marquee.
Construction will continue over the next several weeks and then will be completed in spring.
“It is fitting that the city’s first façade improvement project be done to such a significant building in Cudahy’s history,” said Mayor Ryan McCue. “The revitalization of this structure is just the beginning of the rebirth of our entire downtown area.”
The old Majestic Theater building is owned by the Ademi and O’Reilly Law Firm. Other tenants include Anderson Smith Advertising Consultants, Scherrer Insurance and Mr. Paul’s Hairstyling for Men.
To see more photos of the building's transformation over the years, visit the Department of Economic Development's website, www.cudahy4business.com. Click on "Old Majestic Theater" under the "Programs and Projects" menu.
The Façade Improvement Program provides design and construction grants to help commercial business and property owners reinvest in existing downtown properties. The Community Development Authority (CDA) has awarded nine grants, and awaits approval for additional funding to sustain the program. Watch for more construction to begin in the spring.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- City of Cudahy Arbor Day/ Earth Day Free Event
- HUGE Kelly Senior Center Rummage - Saturday, April 26
- St. Francis All Abilities Playground Craft/Vendor Fair
- Cudahy High School Baseball Fundraiser
- Cudahy Historical Society Open House Saturday
- HamBingo Wednesday April 23 Benefiting Second Hand Purrs
- Spring Market Returns to SM High School on April 26th
- Additional Update on Cudahy Borrowing and Bond Ratings
- Submariner to Present Program at Cudahy Family Library
- Build For A Better South Shore