The South Milwaukee Leo Club is a teenage (8th grade through high school) volunteer-based club sponsored by the South Milwaukee Lions. This club was started in November 2012, and the current dozen club members join approximately 145,000 Leos in 140 different countries through Lions International, Inc. The purpose of a Leo Club is to help youth develop project organization, time management, teamwork, leadership and collaboration skills through community service, while building friendships. In the past couple years, service projects have included helping with Interfaith activities, collecting blankets for Human Concerns, free movie nights for the South Milwaukee community and fundraising for Cystic Fibrosis, Alzheimer’s research and Foundation Fighting Blindness (retinal degenerative diseases).
This summer, potential projects include (but are not limited to) cleaning up Grant Park Beach, fundraising for cancer research, and selling walking tacos at the annual Lions Fest with the profits going to local projects, such as a free movie night in Fall 2014. Though Leo Club meetings are normally held just after high school classes in the academic year, summer meetings will be held every third Tuesday of the month at 4 pm in Grobschmidt Park (dates: 6/17, 7/15, 8/19). Announcements about meeting locations in the chance of rain or about upcoming events will be posted on the South Milwaukee Leo Club Facebook page. For more information about meetings or how to begin volunteering with the South Milwaukee Leos, please contact SMLeos75@gmail.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fun, food and fireworks, it's South Shore Frolic time!
- DYPC Junior & Senior Company Auditions
- Milwaukee IndyFest Returns to The Milwaukee Mile July 11-12
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- Music for every Palate – South Milwaukee Market announces July music line up
- Scholarships for UW-Parkside Nonprofit Leadership Program
- Team Hope Walk/Run to Benefit Huntington's Disease
- The UMDF Energy for Life Walk is September 26th!
- Cudahy Historical Society Open House This Saturday
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Declaration for Donations Blood Drive