S.M. Wrestling team finished strong last Saturday at the annual E.H. Stech Invitational at West Allis Central. Top wrestlers from the area took the matt for a chance at getting to the podium.
Tommy Mitchell was crowned the champion at 182 pounds, holding on to a 8-6 decision over rival Devine Burt from Tosa.
Three wrestlers finished 3rd. Stuart Swanson(152) edged out state ranked Connor Price from Muskego in a heartbreaker, 5-4. Ben Zbikowski(160), held on to beat Daniel Peyer from Franklin, 3-2, in what was a rematch from last years Sectionals in which Peyer beat Zbikowski in the final seconds for a berth to the State Tournament. Kenny Senner(220), overpowered Joe Zizzo from Germantown with a 21-7 major decision.
Josh Wilkowski(170), was edged out of 3rd place by falling to Kirk Zylke from Mukwonago in a 3-2 decision.
Head Coach Joel Schilling was very happy with the boys performance. The finalists only lost one match on Saturday, a great accomplishemnt in such a tough tournament.
S.M. finished in 8th place with 106 points, one point shy of 7th place behind Whitefish Bay. This is only the second top ten finish for S.M. wrestlers at the Stech tournament. They did so even without a full line-up of wrestlers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek Fall Festival is Sunday
- Polish Harvest Festival
- Dick Woerfel Memorial Tournament is a Success
- Children's Author Deborah Diesen to Visit Oak Creek Public Library
- DHS Throws Disabled Under the Bus
- Bay View Business Gives Back
- "The Ultimate Sacrifice and History" presented by Tom Mueller (Oak Creek Resident)
- Free Outdoor Band Concert Tuesday!
- Cudahy Police To Participate in Alcohol Crackdown
- Cudahy’s Net New Construction is .20%