A pine tree from the Cudahy War Memorial at Sheridan Park was cut down this morning and is now on its way to becoming the 2013 Milwaukee County Christmas Tree. The 35 foot pine will be welcomed at a tree lighting ceremony at the Milwaukee County Courthouse on Thursday, November 29.
Bruce Maresh, president of the of the Cudahy War Memorial, was instrumental in offering the 20 year old tree to the County. “I’m very happy our tree was chosen,” Bruce says. “It serves as a tribute to the veterans of the City of Cudahy.”
A small crowd was on hand on a gray Monday morning to watch as the tree was cut and then carefully placed on a truck for its trip downtown. Local dignitaries on hand included Cudahy Mayor Tony Day, County Supervisor Pat Jursik and County Executive Chris Abele.
According to Supervisor Jursik, “Since this tree has stood as a sentry for our Veteran’s Memorial in Cudahy, it is fitting that this symbol which represents everlasting life during Christmas stand in the rotunda of the courthouse. Thank you veterans for your everlasting gift; may we all embrace the meaning of this yule tree.”
“We are honored that the Cudahy War Memorial has offered this tree and we hope it will become a reminder this holiday season of the sacrifice all Veterans make for this county,” Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- First Day of School for St. Francis Public Schools
- Cudahy Historical Society Open House Saturday
- Kelly Senior Center invites you to join their monthly Luncheon Outings
- Fun and Affordable Day Trips through Kelly Senior Center
- Animated Illusionist Ardan James to Perform
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
- 2015 U14 Wisconsin Warriors Baseball Tryouts!!
- Bay View High School Holding 100th Anniversary
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Angelic Bakehouse Needs Your Vote!