The Florentine Opera Studio will introduce opera to the SMPAC with their program America’s Songbook. Musical highlights of American opera’s brief yet colorful evolution are presented in this delightful showcase with emcee William Florescu, General Director of the Florentine Opera Company.
The stirrings of American opera started in the 1930s with Virgil Thomson and George Gershwin. It expanded with the works of Gian Carlo Menotti, Douglas Moore, Carlisle Floyd and Leonard Bernstein. More recently, American opera has taken root in the music of Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Mark Adamo and William Bolcom.
The Florentine Opera Studio provides season-long, comprehensive artist-in-residence employment for talented singers beginning their professional careers, while serving the mainstage, education and outreach goals of the Florentine Opera Company. As a key component of the experience, these Studio Artists have the opportunity to sing supporting roles during the opera season. Additionally, artists perform for education and community outreach initiatives and the Florentine’s in-school touring opera program. Studio Artists also have the opportunity to gain continuing training and career advice through master classes and coachings.
The acoustically rich and “comfortably intimate house” will come alive with the sounds of George Gershwin, Virgil Thomson, Carlisle Floyd and Leonard Bernstein on Friday, March 23, at 7:30 pm. Tickets are $20 for premium, $15 for mid-level and $10 for side seating. Tickets may be purchased through the Box Office at 414-766-5049 or online at www.southmilwaukeepac.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- BBB Free Fall Shred Event helped Record Number of Wisconsinites Fight Identity Theft
- Great Lakes Lighthouses Speaker at Next Cudahy Historical Society Meeting
- Best Presents Aren't Things presented by Kathi Miller
- St. Ann Center Indoor Market starts Saturday!
- South Milwaukee Lions Step up to Help Community Organizations
- Patrick Cudahy Expansion approved by Governing Bodies
- Vendor Fair at Cudahy Family Library
- Ribbon Cutting at Aurora St. Lukes South Shore
- Kelly Senior Center Day Trip to Gurnee Mills Mall
- In Tandem Theatre Comes A "Cudahy” Caroling One Last Time