The Florentine Opera Studio will introduce opera to the SMPAC with their program America’s Songbook. Musical highlights of American opera’s brief yet colorful evolution are presented in this delightful showcase with emcee William Florescu, General Director of the Florentine Opera Company.
The stirrings of American opera started in the 1930s with Virgil Thomson and George Gershwin. It expanded with the works of Gian Carlo Menotti, Douglas Moore, Carlisle Floyd and Leonard Bernstein. More recently, American opera has taken root in the music of Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Mark Adamo and William Bolcom.
The Florentine Opera Studio provides season-long, comprehensive artist-in-residence employment for talented singers beginning their professional careers, while serving the mainstage, education and outreach goals of the Florentine Opera Company. As a key component of the experience, these Studio Artists have the opportunity to sing supporting roles during the opera season. Additionally, artists perform for education and community outreach initiatives and the Florentine’s in-school touring opera program. Studio Artists also have the opportunity to gain continuing training and career advice through master classes and coachings.
The acoustically rich and “comfortably intimate house” will come alive with the sounds of George Gershwin, Virgil Thomson, Carlisle Floyd and Leonard Bernstein on Friday, March 23, at 7:30 pm. Tickets are $20 for premium, $15 for mid-level and $10 for side seating. Tickets may be purchased through the Box Office at 414-766-5049 or online at www.southmilwaukeepac.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- First Day of School for St. Francis Public Schools
- Cudahy Historical Society Open House Saturday
- Kelly Senior Center invites you to join their monthly Luncheon Outings
- Fun and Affordable Day Trips through Kelly Senior Center
- Animated Illusionist Ardan James to Perform
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
- 2015 U14 Wisconsin Warriors Baseball Tryouts!!
- Bay View High School Holding 100th Anniversary
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Angelic Bakehouse Needs Your Vote!