Ron Winkler, author of “Images of America: Bay View” will be the featured speaker at the next General Meeting of the Cudahy Historical Society on Tuesday, February 21. The meeting begins at 7 p.m. at the historic Cudahy Depot, corner of South Kinnickinnic and East Plankinton avenues. Refreshments will be served; everyone is invited.
Copies of the 128-page book and photo archive, available since early December and printed by Arcadia Publishing, will be available for purchase for $21.99, with profits benefiting the Bay View Historical Society.
Winkler is a retired chemist who was born in Milwaukee, attended Dover Street Elementary School and graduated from Bay View High School. A trained guide through Historic Milwaukee Incorporated, Ron leads tours of Bay View, Walker’s Point and the North Point Neighborhoods. He has written articles for ECHO, Historic Milwaukee’s newsletter; Compass, Bay View’s community newspaper; and he is a columnist for the Bay View Historical Society’s newsletter.
Winkler will present an entertaining, informative talk complimented by slides about Bay View, which has been part of the City of Milwaukee since the 1880s -- although many on the south side of the county still think it’s a suburb. He has gathered information about the area since the 19th century when it began as a company town servicing a massive rolling mill that was the site of the Bay View massacre. He was also speak about famous residents including former Milwaukee mayor Daniel Hoan and civil rights activist James Groppi.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Cudahy High School's Ian Fox a Kohl Excellence Scholar
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- 3rd Annual South Milwaukee Breakfast with the Easter Bunny & Easter Egg Hunt
- Cudahy Pick N Save Hosting Easter Egg Hunt/Pancake Breakfast
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- Postal Service Ready For Tax Day
- Oak Creek Public Library Family Fun Night Fun With Food
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- Open House
- BloodCenter to Host Milwaukee Bucks Blood Drive