Ron Winkler, author of “Images of America: Bay View” will be the featured speaker at the next General Meeting of the Cudahy Historical Society on Tuesday, February 21. The meeting begins at 7 p.m. at the historic Cudahy Depot, corner of South Kinnickinnic and East Plankinton avenues. Refreshments will be served; everyone is invited.
Copies of the 128-page book and photo archive, available since early December and printed by Arcadia Publishing, will be available for purchase for $21.99, with profits benefiting the Bay View Historical Society.
Winkler is a retired chemist who was born in Milwaukee, attended Dover Street Elementary School and graduated from Bay View High School. A trained guide through Historic Milwaukee Incorporated, Ron leads tours of Bay View, Walker’s Point and the North Point Neighborhoods. He has written articles for ECHO, Historic Milwaukee’s newsletter; Compass, Bay View’s community newspaper; and he is a columnist for the Bay View Historical Society’s newsletter.
Winkler will present an entertaining, informative talk complimented by slides about Bay View, which has been part of the City of Milwaukee since the 1880s -- although many on the south side of the county still think it’s a suburb. He has gathered information about the area since the 19th century when it began as a company town servicing a massive rolling mill that was the site of the Bay View massacre. He was also speak about famous residents including former Milwaukee mayor Daniel Hoan and civil rights activist James Groppi.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bartelt Wins Two MBA Achievement Awards
- Babe's Ice Cream Turns 10 Years Old
- MIAW Pro Wrestling Returns to Papa Luigi's
- Grand Time Out 2015
- Polish Heritage Month Display at Cudahy Family Library
- Wisconsin Author at Cudahy Family Library, Tuesday November 10 2015
- Celebrate I Love Yarn Day at Cudahy Family Library
- Cudahy Depot Listed on National Register of Historic Places
- Cudahy Historic Depot Celebrates!
- INTERFAITH HOSTING ANNUAL NEIGHBORHOOD OUTREACH FUNDRAISER TO SUPPORT SENIORS IN THE COMMUNITY