South Milwaukee author Janet Halfmann’s recent book, “Star of the Sea: A Day in the Life of a Starfish,” has been named a 2012 Outstanding Science Trade Book for Students K-12.
The award is given by The National Science Teachers Association (NSTA), in collaboration with the Children’s Book Council.
In its review NSTA said: “The book’s narration is full of descriptive phrases that paint a minds-eye picture of the daily life of a starfish in its natural environment. For example, “Beneath the crashing waves, another kind of star clings to the rocks with hundreds of sticky tube feet." The words set the stage for the visual imagery of the life of a starfish. The illustrations show the large view of a starfish as well as close-up images of its tube feet. The blend of words and art provides young readers with accurate scientific information and will inspire wonder in their minds.”
“Star of the Sea” is published by Henry Holt/Christy Ottaviano Books for children ages 5-9. The book is also a School Library Guild Selection.
Halfmann is the author of more than 30 children’s books, including “Good Night, Little Sea Otter,” “Fur and Feathers,” “Little Skink’s Tail,” and “Seven Miles to Freedom: The Robert Smalls Story.”
Halfmann will be selling and signing “Star of the Sea” and her other books this Saturday (Dec 10), 10 am to 3 pm, at the South Milwaukee Christmas Market, Caterpillar Heritage Building (formerly Bucyrus Erie), 1970 10th Ave.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- St. Mark's "Night of the Father's Love"
- Church Concert
- Wixon Welcomes Tara Headd, National Account Manager
- Warm Your Heart Chili & Jewelry Event
- St. Francis Civic Center Gala and Tree Lighting events
- Cudahy Family Library Receives 2014 Book Basket Donation
- 2015 GET FIT Workshop - Kelly Senior Center
- Bartelt Hosts Hunger Task Force Food Drive
- Special Exhibits And Displays Showcased at Holiday Folk Fair International
- GERALD PETERSON IS AT IT AGAIN!!!!!