After what felt like such a long winter, summer is finally here! Chief Poellot and the Cudahy Police Department are looking forward to a safe summer and remind you of the dangers of the use of fireworks and firecrackers. The two year anniversary of the Patrick Cudahy fire is quickly approaching; when we were all shown on a large scale the extreme dangers of the use of illegal flares, fireworks and firecrackers. While many times citizens set off fireworks as a fun activity with friends and family, accidents causing injury or property damage do frequently happen. The humbling experience of being so personally touched by the Patrick Cudahy fire has made many citizens extra vigilant in reporting the use of fireworks in their neighborhoods. Police investigate numerous firework complaints throughout the summer months, which are sometimes also called in as reports of gunshots. When you never know who is watching and may report illegal activity, it is best not to participate in it at all.
According to Cudahy ordinance, ALL firecrackers, fireworks and explosive devices are illegal in the City of Cudahy. This ordinance includes sparklers, which cause most firework-related injuries for children under age 6, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Firework permits purchased at firework stands are not valid in the City of Cudahy. Due to this ordinance, citations, not verbal warnings, will be issued to citizens observed setting off fireworks. Violations of the ordinance could result in a $177.00 citation. Forfeitures of up to $1,000.00 may be issued for possession, use or the sale of fireworks.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Carlos Meyers will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- WindSync "Simple Gifts: A Holiday Sampler"
- Annual Cudahy High School Alumni Basketball Tournament
- Ye Olde Christmas Feaste
- Local Author's Novel, Schrodinger's Dachshund, Set in Cudahy
- BBB Offers Tips to Black Friday Shoppers
- Prasser-Kleczka is donating to Hunger Task Force but we need YOUR help!
- Mr. Stephen Parr in Dicken's Doctor Marigold's Prescription at the Cudahy Family Library
- Twenty-Nine Years of Holiday Lights Provide Hope on Candy Cane Lane
- St. Mark's "Night of the Father's Love"