Our state is under seige ! The enemy is not at the gates, with cannon roaring, but we are told they live amoung us! Imagine that, the very workers that guard the prisons, care for our sick in state hospitals, maintain our state buildings and roads, and oh yes, even the teachers in our schools and universities that we send our children to, they are the enemy and this war! Unthinkable, and yet that is what our Governor and other legisrlative supporters of his union busting biill would have us believe. Why else would he have the audacity to put the National Guard on alert. This is not a foreign enemy he fights but his own constituents.
It must be reassuring to some people that the unions will finally be brought to task for lowering their wages, closing businesses, taking their jobs away with no new jobs in sight. Oh no, my mistake, it was government that made it easy to downsize factories and move jobs out of the country to cheap worker wages,no benefits and big bonuses for management and owners, not the unions.
In all of history, both here and abroad it has been the solidarity of the workforce itself that had led to the protection of the worker and jobs. It has been the bond of the labor force itself that has forged our country, built our nation, and fought to give our men and women decent working conditions and wages. With the passage of the proposed law in Madison, this will change forever the way all employees are treated not just union workers. Wisconsin labor laws are minimal at best, giving little protectiion to the average worker.
In this situation the Governor has made the state employee unions his target. If he can break these unions, which is what will happen if the collective bargaining ability is taken away, he will go after all the unions. He has the backing of businesses that will be very happy to have the ability to move here, utilize our resources, get tax breaks to give them mega profits, all the while employing workers at lower wages and no benefits.
No, I am not a democrat, or a teacher or state worker. I speak as an independent voter who has voted for many candidates, and I am shocked at the callous way that this administration has slapped the citizens of Wisconsin in the face with this action, and threatens the livelihood of every Wisconsin resident with the legislation he has proposed.
Yes, Wisconsin is open for business, but at what cost?
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Rustic Furniture Maker at St. Ann Center Indoor Market
- Mayor St. Marie-Carls was voted down on her request for the City of St. Francis City Council to take action on tax disparity and Citizens concerns who have received up to 64% increase in their property taxes.
- Packard Plaza in Cudahy sold
- Bartelt Wins 2016 Regional Contractor of the Year (CotY) Award
- UWP March Science Night - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- UW-Parkside Traditions of Excellence Nominations
- The Gateway to Milwaukee Has Been Supporting Economic Progress in the Airport Area for Past 10 Years
- Registration is Open for Walk MS: Milwaukee
- CHS Class Ring received 72 years After Graduation!
- "HeART & Sole" Sister's EXPO