On Saturday, October 2, 2010 the Cudahy High School Cross Country team celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Purgold Invitational.
Coach Quinn Elliot invited the former coaches of the Cross Country team (Frederick Murphy, Cal Wetzel, and Pete Thalman) to attend the event. These men, along with Coach Elliot, are the only men to have coached Cross Country in the history of Cudahy High School.
Coach Elliot presented Coach Murphy with a plaque honoring him as the "Founder and Father of Cudahy Cross Country".
Coach Murphy designed the first Purgold course and hosted the first competition. He brought the sport of Cross Country to Cudahy High School. After retiring from coaching, he officiated both Cross Country and Track for many years.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Click It or Ticket Campaign
- Kids Travel Around the World for Children's Book Week
- A Musical Benefit for Project Concern
- Beware of Memorial Day Scams Aimed at Military Personnel
- STM Student Wins Prestigious Gates Scholarship
- Wisconsin BBB Advises: Beware of Green Dot MoneyPak Scams
- Ted Lang Speed and Agility Camp at Cudahy High School (June 17th-21st)
- Cudahy High School Football to Offer Free Football Camps This Summer
- Cudahy High School Football Golf Outing-August 17th at Grant Park
- Bike Auction & Rummage Saturday