Cudahy — A 40 year-old man whose car was being chased by South Milwaukee Police died from a gunshot wound Wednesday night when his car crashed with another vehicle near Cudahy's border with South Milwaukee.
A South Milwaukee residence had been under surveillance by South Milwaukee Police earlier in the evening, South Milwaukee Police Chief Ann Wellens said. Shortly after 8:35 p.m., the man drove away from the residence and was followed by officers who tried to stop the vehicle. The man refused to stop and led officers on a chase that ended when his car struck a vehicle that was turning at College and Chicago avenues, Wellens said.
At the time of the crash, reported at 8:42 p.m., a shotgun in the man's car discharged, Wellens said. Police were trying to determine if the discharge was accidental.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
A 23-year-old woman who was driving the vehicle that was struck was taken to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Her condition was not immediately available, Wellens said.
Evidence at the scene indicated that the suspect had sent a text message to his brother shortly before the crash, Wellens said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: July 24, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: July 17, 2014 issue
- South Shore Police Report: July 3, 2014 issue
- South Shore Police Report: May 23
- Man cited for battery after argument with his girlfriend turns violent
- South Shore Police Report: May 12
- Locals have until end of May to examine or claim historical documents from St. Joseph's, Holy Family and St. Frederick
- South Shore Police Report: May 5
- JB’s on 41 Offering Free Bowling to Kids All Summer Long for Fifth Year
- Police Report: April 28