Cudahy – Firefighters from about a dozen departments fought a fire that raged for hours at a landmark Cudahy restaurant Monday night, authorities said.
The fire at Layton Garden Restaurant and Lounge, 3107 E. Layton Ave., was reported about 8:40 p.m., according to Cudahy police. Flames were shooting out of the building more than two hours later.
No injuries were reported, but the structure appeared to be gutted.
The restaurant, for many years known as Selen's House of Prime Rib, is now owned by former Milwaukee County Supervisor Peter Agnos. Agnos was at the scene but referred questions to restaurant manager Deborah Gray.
Gray said about 30 employees worked at the restaurant and Agnos has operated it for about eight months. She said employees left after closing the business about 8:30 p.m. and that nothing unusual was noted.
She said the hostess for the restaurant drove past about 8:40 p.m. and noticed smoke.
Cudahy Mayor Ryan McCue said he ate at the restaurant Sunday.
"This restaurant is a landmark in the city of Cudahy and for Milwaukee County," McCue said.
"They were doing very, very well. It was a very popular, successful restaurant," he said.
"The owner, Peter Agnos, was a very good businessman in our community. He really worked hard here," McCue said. "He put his heart and soul into this restaurant. It's very sad to see this happen."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: March 5, 2015
- South Shore police report: Feb. 26, 2015
- South Shore police report: Feb. 19, 2015
- South Shore police report: Feb. 12, 2015
- South Shore police report: Feb. 5, 2015
- South Shore police report: Jan. 29, 2015
- South Shore police report: Jan. 22, 2015
- South Shore police report: Jan. 15, 2015
- South Shore police report: Jan. 8, 2015
- South Shore police report: Jan. 1, 2015