Police surrounded an apartment in the 5000 block of South Lake Drive after a 51-year-old Cudahy man threatened officers and refused to open the door for them.
The man eventually was taken into custody for resisting arrest at 3:32 p.m. March 31.
According to a Cudahy police report:
Officers were called to the apartment after receiving a tip that the man was threatening to commit suicide.
Once police arrived, the man refused to open the door, claiming they needed a warrant to enter.
He told officers they "better bring machine guns because he was going to protect himself in any manner he could," the report stated.
Officers obtained a key from the landlord.
The man threw items at his apartment door before police entered.
The Cudahy Police Department Tactical Team responded. Officers took cover with their handguns and stun guns drawn.
Once the door was opened, the man was holding a black eyeglass case, which police initially thought was a weapon.
An officer fired a Taser at the man, which hit the door and partially struck the man. The man then ran back into his apartment and locked the door.
Officers reopened the door and handcuffed the man. An officer struck the man in the chest using his knee to control him. The man's apartment was searched and he was taken to Aurora St. Luke's South Shore hospital.
He was then taken to Milwaukee County Mental Health Complex.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: Nov. 13, 2014
- South Shore police report: Nov. 6, 2014
- South Shore police report: October 30, 2014
- South Shore police report: October 23, 2014
- South Shore police report: October 16, 2014
- South Shore police report: October 9, 2014
- South Shore police report: October 2, 2014
- South Shore police report: September 25, 2014
- South Shore police report: September 18, 2014
- South Shore police report: September 11, 2014