So far, my kids are too young to care about chat rooms or text messaging or MySpace or Facebook or any other type of social networking sites. However, since I enjoy learning new words, I do find this list of words very interesting and important.
These are the 28 most common acronyms and slang words used when chatting - the 28 Internet Teen Chat Acronyms Parents Should Know. Even though I hope to trust my kids when they do become interested in text messaging or chatting, I also think it's important to be aware of what they do online and to stay current with their language.
Top 15 Terms To Watch For:
1. AITR = Adult In The Room
2. P911 = Parent Emergency
3. PAW = Parents Are Watching
4. PIR = Parent In Room
5. POS = Parent Over Shoulder
6. PLOS = Parents Looking Over shoulder
7. PRW = Parents Are Watching
8. MOS = Mom Over Shoulder
9. MIRL = Meet In Real Life
10. S2R = Send To Receive (pictures)
11. LMIRL = (Lets) Meet In Real Life
12. CD9 = Code 9 - (means parents are around)
13. E or X = Ecstasy (the drug)
14. ASL(R P) = Age Sex Location (Race / Picture)
15. TDTM = Talk Dirty To Me
General Chat Terms Commonly Used:
1. BF / GF = Boyfriend / Girlfriend
2. BRB = Be Right Back
3. GNOC = Get Naked on Cam (web cam)
4. GTG = Got to Go
5. IDK = I Don't Know
6. LOL = Laugh Out Loud
7. MorF = Male or Female
8. NIFOC = Naked in Front of Computer
9. Noob/ Newbie = Somebody who doesn't know much about something
10. NMU = Not much, you?
11. Warez = Pirated Software
12. W/E = Whatever
13. WTF = What the Fu*k?
Here a link to a more thorough acronym dictionary. It is another language!