I am a husband, father, son, brother, uncle and friend. I believe in sharing my talents and experiences by giving back to the community by giving my time to coaching, church and especially to the disability community. I truly believe that all men and women are created equally.
Employment Research has demonstrated repeatedly that individuals with disabilities want to work and can make a positive contribution to the community. Employment for people with developmental disabilities is slowly changing from automatic placement in congregate settings to employment in community settings.
- Work at employment focused on the skills and abilities of the individual.
- Work without discrimination.
- Work in integrated environments among co-workers without disabilities.
- Work with the provision of reasonable accomodations as needed.
- Work at community jobs with competative and commensurate wages.
- Access to on-going job training, coaching and education.
- Work in integrated community jobs as the default in long-term care.
- Access to information that helps individuals make informed choices about work.
Health and Wellness Good physical and emotional health is basic human needs. Safe environments and practices are vital to good health. Good emotional health is supported by having networks of friends and providers and inclusive communities.
- Access to available and affordable dental, medical, physical and psychiatric health care as needed
- Opportunity to maintain a healthy lifestyle through exercise and information on nutrition.
- Freedom from exposure to known environmental toxins, including tobacco (second hand smoke), lead and Bisphenol A.
- Protection from injuries, such as wearing bike helmets when on bicycles and life jackets when on boats and safe storage of firearms.